Pulmonary function tests (PFT) are central tool to assess lung diseases, however they are prone to manual interpretation. We developed AI-based software for automated interpretation! It is a cloud solution communicating with EHR or PFT machines. We save time for doctors and cut costs for hospitals.
Pulmonary function testing (PFT) is a standard and essential tool for the diagnostics, functional evaluation and follow-up of respiratory diseases. Complete PFT is composed of different measurements which all provide unique information that narrows the differential diagnosis and helps in the characterization of a specific respiratory disease. The use of PFT is primarily based on expert opinion and international disease guidelines. The problem with its interpretation is: 1/ it is expert dependent, 2/ it is highly variable, 3/ it is time-consuming, and 4/ it is not specific for disease diagnosis. We solved problem by:
- developing a software package for the reliable automated clinical interpretation of PFT.
- empowering software with the artificial intelligence that integrates clinical information with PFT parameters for accurate detection of different lung diseases.
- incorporating a cloud-based solution into real-life setting to further improve accuracy & reliability.
Developed software automatically process data and generate a clear report with results:
- interpretation protocol,
- suggested diagnosis with most probable disease and possibility of other lung disease,
- recommendation for further step to be taken
Software is already internally validated in largest Belgian hospital, where it showed high accuracy of 76% when detecting different lung diseases. Additionally, AI-based software showed superiority when directly compared with the suggested diagnosis of panel of experts.
Developed system can cut costs: redundant expensive tests not needed, decrease of man-hours for interpretation and establishment of the diagnosis. Besides being more efficient for the healthcare institutions, it is beneficial to patients by securing on-time treatment and effective therapy.